Turkmenistan gets Observer Status in World Trade Organization
- Posted By
25th Jul, 2020
- Turkmenistan became the 25th country who was granted observer status in the World Trade Organization (WTO)
- Turkmenistan also became the last former Soviet republic to establish formal ties with the trade body.
- Apart from other member states, India also supported Turkmenistan as an observer of WTO.
- Now, there is a possibility of Turkmenistan’s acceding (to the organisation’s membership) in the next five years.
- Its neighbouring Central Asian countries — Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan and Afghanistan — have acceded to the WTO, while Uzbekistan has been in on-and-off negotiations on WTO accession since 1994.