What is Ecological Trap?
- Posted By
5th Aug, 2020
- Ecological trap theory describes the reasons why organisms may actually prefer sink patches over source patches.
- The concept stems from the idea that organisms that are actively selecting habitat must rely on environmental cues to help them identify high-quality habitat.
- If either the habitat quality or the cue changes so that one does not reliably indicate the other, organisms may be lured into poor-quality habitat.
- It thought to occur when the attractiveness of a habitat increases disproportionately in relation to its value for survival and reproduction.
- The result is preference of falsely attractive habitat and a general avoidance of high-quality but less-attractive habitats.
Verifying, please be patient.