'Zorawar' light tanks, swarm drones
- Posted By
Science & Technology
30th Aug, 2022
Army accelerates procurement of light tank ‘Zorawar’ for LAC.
- Current threat scenarioalong the northern borders with China
- To provide the Indian Army with the versatility to execute operations in varying terrain against diverse threats and equipment profiles of the adversaries.
About 'Zorawar' light tanks
- The Indigenous Indian Light Tank aptly named 'Zorawar' is designed to operate in varying terrain from High Altitude Areas, the marginal terrain to the Island territories will be highly transportable for rapid deployment to meet any operational situation.
The name game
Zorawar Singh Kahluria was the famed military general of Dogra King Gulab Singh and was adept at mountain warfare. New tanks will be named after him.
- Zorawar will have niche technologies to include AI, Drone integration, Active Protection System, High Degree of Situational Awareness.
- It will enable Army to overcome the limitations faced by medium battle tanks and equip the Indian Army for all contingencies in High Altitude Area (HAA), marginal terrain & island territories besides its utilisation in the plains, semi-deserts and deserts.
The Indian Army has the experience of successfully employing Light Tanks as Force Multipliers in all previous battle engagements in the past viz. Stuart Tanks of 254 Indian Tank Brigade in Battle of Kohima in World War II, at Naushera, Jhangar, Rajauri& most successfully at Zojila in the Indo-Pak war 1947-48, AMX-13 tanks at Chushul&Bomdila in 1962, AMX-13 tanks at Chammb in 1965 & the amphibious PT-76 light tanks in 1971 with the PT-76 tanks leading the race to Dacca.
- A big boost to efforts of 'Make in India' and 'Atmanirbhar Bharat'.
- Indian Light Tank is required to address sector-specific operational requirements, especially in HAA and marginal terrain.
- ILT will be state of art and will pave way for indigenous development of other important platforms.
- The ILT will be the harbinger for Atmanirbhar Bharat.
Induction of indigenous swarm drone systems
- Indian Army has inducted indigenously produced Swarm Drones Systems aiming to employ them in both offensive and defensive operations.
- A swarm drone system consists of a number of small drones which are AI enabled and capable of communicating with the control station as well as among themselves and provide asymmetric capabilities for taking out frontline assets of the adversary.
- Swarm drones consist of a number of drones controlled from the same station which can be programmed using an algorithm to carry out various tasks, including surveillance.