- Posted By
23rd Aug, 2020
- Gaur or Indian bison is the largest extant bovine native to South and Southeast Asia.
- They are heavily built with body weight varying between 400 and 1,200 kilograms.
- Their population has declined by more than 70% during the last three generations, and is extinct in Sri Lanka and probably in Bangladesh also.
- The first population estimation exercise of the bison was carried out in the Nilgiris Forest Division in February 2020.
- It has revealed that more than an estimated 2,000 Indian gaurs inhabit the entire division.
- IUCN status: Vulnerable
Verifying, please be patient.