Indian Coast Guard launches offshore patrol vessel ‘Vigraha’:
- Posted By
11th Oct, 2020
- Vigraha: is an offshore patrol vessel(OPV) Built and designed : by Larsen and Toubro Shipbuilding under the ‘Make in India’ initiative.
- Offshore patrol vessels(OPVs) are patrolling vehicles which are deployed by Indian coast guards to patrol the maritime boundary of India.
- Vikram-class offshore patrol vessel: It is a series of seven offshore patrol vessels (OPV) being built by L&T Shipbuilding for the Indian Coast Guard.
- The seven OPVs are: a) Vikram b) Vijaya c) Varaha d) Veera d) Varad e) Vajra and f) Vigraha.
- Indian Coast Guard (ICG): It is a multi-mission organization launched in 1978 with the objective
of superintendence and policing of India’s maritime areas including the Exclusive Economic Zone.
- It operates under the Ministry of Defence.