New Guinea has world’s richest island flora
- Posted By
11th Aug, 2020
- The island of New Guinea has the globe’s richest collection of plants.
- It is worlds second-largest in area and the largest tropical island.
- The number of plant species that the list enumerates is 13,634 which are 20 % more species than Madagascar or Borneo.
- Some 68 % of the plants in the list are endemic and not found anywhere else in the world.
- New Guinea is an island of the eastern Malay Archipelago, in the western Pacific Ocean, north of Australia.
- It is bounded by the Pacific Ocean to the north, the Bismarck and Solomon seas to the east, the Coral Sea and Torres Strait to the south, and the Arafura Sea to the southwest.