Pathogens Found in Yamuna
- Posted By
Science & Technology
11th Aug, 2020
- A team of researchers from the IIT Delhi has found some pathogens that are actually critical in nature, in the Yamuna River.
- The team has found faecal coliform in abundance in all the samples collected from various areas.
- Pathogens are something that can cause disease and can be referred to as an infectious agent or simple a germ. It is primarily used to define infectious microorganism or agent such as virus, bacteria, protozoa, etc.
- Also, a rapid and excessive increase in various antibiotic-resistant genes among different bacteria through horizontal gene transfer was also found.
- The reason for the existence of these pathogens can be attributed to poor sewage collection and lack of connectivity between drains and sewage treatment plants in the city.
- The resistant bacteria found are very much harmful to rivers and they can also harm animals as well as human beings.