The Minister of Education and Skill Development unveiled the SCALE (Skill Certification Assessment for Leather Employees) app, during a visit to the Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR)-Central Leather Research Institute (CLRI) in Chennai.
About the App
- The App is developed by the Leather Sector Skill Council.
- The Leather Sector Skill Council (LSSC) is a non-profit organisation dedicated to meet the demand for skilled workforce in the leather industry in India.
- LSSC was set up in 2012 as one of the key sector skill councils approved by National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC).
- It serves the training and employment needs in the subsectors of finished leather, footwear, apparel, leather goods, accessories.
- The App will provide a one-stop solution for the skilling, learning, assessment, and employment needs of the leather industry.
- It will allow people from all age groups interested in leather craft to access online live streamed classes from the state-of-the-art studio at its office.
About footwears sector
- India is the world’s second-largest producer and consumer of shoes.
- Around 13% of the world’s leather hides and skins are produced in India, where the leather sector also manages a sizable annual production of about 3 billion square feet of leather.
- 9% of the footwear produced worldwide is produced in this nation.
- Throughout India’s whole length and breadth, the sector is home to numerous leather and footwear clusters.
Key objectives of the Leather Sector Skill Council (LSSC)
- To encourage the creation of the skilled labour force needed for the leather and leather goods industry’s long-term growth.
- To ensure the availability of trained and skilled labour across industrial segments and organisational levels, ensure sector capacity growth.
- This will boost the efforts to strengthen the leather skilling ecosystem.
- It will help inch closer to fulfilling our Hon’ble Prime Minister’s vision of making ‘Atma Nirbhar Bharat’ the ‘Skill Capital of the World’.