The Nobel Peace Prize for 2020 will be given to the World Food Programme (WFP) for its efforts to combat hunger.
- Posted By
Polity & Governance
13th Oct, 2020
- In 2019, the WFP provided assistance to close to 100 million people in 88 countries who are victims of acute food insecurity and hunger.
- The World Food Programme was an active participant in the diplomatic process that culminated in May 2018 in the UN Security Council’s unanimous adoption of Resolution 2417, which for the first time explicitly addressed the link between conflict and hunger.
- The World Food Programme (WFP) is the food-assistance branch of the United Nations.
- It is the world’s largest humanitarian organization focused on hunger and food security.
- In 2015, eradicating hunger was adopted as one of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals.
- WFP was Founded in: 1961.
- Headquarter: Rome