India Energy Modeling Forum
- Posted By
14th Oct, 2020
- NITI Aayog Announces Governing Structure of India Energy Modelling Forum (IEMF).
- The governing structure of IEMF will consist of:
- An inter-ministerial committee which will be convened by NITI Aayog and headed by its CEO, and comprise senior officials from the ministries of petroleum and natural gas; power; new and renewable energy; coal; environment, forest and climate change; and department of science and technology.
- This committee will review the studies/modelling activities and provide directions and new areas of research.
- A steering committee: This committee will shortlist policy issues to be taken up for study and might form various taskforces depending on the specific studies/modelling exercises to be carried out.
- About the India Energy Modeling Forum:Jointly launched by NITI Aayog and United States Agency for International Development (USAID) under the US–India Strategic Energy Partnership.
- Composition: The forum would include knowledge partners, data agencies and concerned government ministries.
- The Forum aims to:Provide a platform to examine important energy and environmental related issues;Inform decision-making process to the Indian government;Improve cooperation between modelling teams, government, and knowledge partners, funders;Facilitate exchange of ideas, ensure production of high-quality studies;Identify knowledge gaps at different levels and across different areas;Build capacity of Indian institutions.
- Energy modeling or energy system modeling is the process of building computer models of energy systems in order to analyze them.
- Such models often employ scenario analysis to investigate different assumptions about the technical and economic conditions at play.
- Outputs may include the system feasibility, greenhouse gas emissions, cumulative financial costs, natural resource use, and energy efficiency of the system under investigation.