- Posted By
29th Jul, 2020
- Pied cuckoo is a bird with black and white plumage (pied) with a fancy crest on the head.
- It is found in Africa and Asia.
- In central and northern parts of India, pied cuckoos are migratory, they are seen only from just before the monsoon to early winter.
- They have high site fidelity, that is, they come back to the same location year after year.
- It is one of the few species that come to India in the summer; most other migratory species come in winter.
- IUCN Status of the bird is Least Concerned.
- Recently, Wildlife Institute of India (WII), has decided to study the migration of the Pied Cuckoo Bird by tagging the bird with satellite transmitters, as a part of IBIN project.
- This is the first study in the country that seeks to trace and observe the migratory routes of the pied cuckoo.
- It will give information on the monsoon, changes in the monsoon and monsoon winds, erratic rainfall, seasonal fluctuations, water vapour pressure, etc.
Verifying, please be patient.