The Hong Kong Extradition Treaty halted with Canada, Australia, UK
- Posted By
29th Jul, 2020
- China announced the suspension of extradition treaties of Hong Kong with Canada, Britain and Australia.
- China has brought the suspension under its New Security Law in Hong Kong. According to the law, China gained control over external affairs and defence of Hong Kong.
- Extradition is an act under which a jurisdiction delivers a person convicted or accused of committing crime in another jurisdiction.
- It is a cooperative law enforcement process that depends on the arrangements made between the respective countries.
- India has no Extradition treaty with China, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Pakistan and Maldives.
- On the other hand, India has extradition treaties with Canada, USA, Britain, Australia and Italy.
- It is the policy of Government of India to sign as many as possible extradition treaties to make sure the fugitive criminals are extradited to face trials in India
- A Fugitive is a person who flees a country to escape government arrest, non-governmental questioning and refuses to return back.